Building and part-time / full-time residence
If you are interested in building a shed or garage to store items you use while visiting your property, please be aware of some time-tested Do’s and Dont’s and some Coconino County regulations you should be aware of.
- Do read and abide by the Coconino County Zoning Ordinance and 2019 Coconino County Building Ordinance stipulations when constructing a Accessory Dwelling (shed, garage, etc).
- Do make the structure rodent proof – no holes or cracks to the exterior larger than 1/4 inch
- Do catch water from the structure roof while you’re away to use for washing, etc when you use your property
- Do lock your structure when you’re away
- Don’t leave any food or liquids in your structure that could freeze
- Don’t leave flammable liquids in your structure when you’re away
If you’re interested in living on the ranch full or part-time, you must either build a permitted home or install a permitted manufactured home that is no more than 5 years old. Both types of residences meet the criteria outline in our CC&Rs, the Coconino County Zoning Ordinance the Coconino County Building & Safety Department regulations and the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality regulations.
Per our CC&Rs, you ARE NOT allowed to use a RV or travel trailer as a permanent residence on the ranch (even though they are allowed as permanent residences in the Coconino County Zoning Ordinance); however, you are allowed to live in a RV or travel trailer for up to 90 contiguous days in a year, or possibly longer with a Conditional Use Permit from the County if you are building a permitted residential dwelling.
To find out more about building and living in Four Hills Ranch, please select your topic of interest from the Building & Living sub-menu.